F.E.E.S is the test performed with the flexible endoscope. We examine the pharynx & larynx whilst the patient is swallowing.
Colored liquids and solids are used with blue or green coloring.
- Thin Foods (milk, juice)
- Thick liquid (milk shake)
- Semi-solid foods (mashed potato)
- Cheese, Bread
- Hard Food (meat, apple)
- Mixed Food (soup with meat)
When the examination is for infants and children who drink milk then diluted milk is given mixed with a special powder.
During the test Doctors observe:
- Inability to retain food in the mouth
- Penetration or residue in the hypopharynx